Sunday, June 17 may seem like an arbitrary date in the not-so-distant future, but not when you are dealing with the dreaded holiday celebrating the male parental unit in your life. That’s right my fellow Krisrael Geek Chic readers: Father’s Day! Every year I worry about what to get my very geeky, gadget-loving father. The last thing I want is another Father’s Day #FAIL like this one. . .
The “geeky dad” is a different species of father altogether from “sports dad” and “let’s not talk about how we really feel but awkwardly hug at emotional moments dad.” The brainy father prefers gifts that are practical yet reflective of his inner nerd, such as video games and anything Star Trek. With that being said, below are my top recommendations for the “geek chic” father figure in your life. . .
For the Star Wars Dad
1. Han Solo with Carbonite Carrying Case: Star Wars Mimobot (4GB): This stylish Hi-speed USB 2.0 flash drive is part of the MIMOBOT Star Wars Series. Not only is it Mac/PC compatible, but it is pre-loaded with Star Wars wallpapers, icons, sound bytes, and digital extras! With this fun computer accessory, your Star Wars papa will be digitally geeking out at the office in style!
2. Storm Trooper Basketball Jersey: This Storm Trooper basketball jersey is what the Storm Trooper’s team would wear in the intra-company Empire basketball league. I love geek themed clothing that is NOT a traditional t-shirt, because it gives the wearer the opportunity to share his or her geeky passions in a subtle way. For example, on the backside of the jersey is the word “Storm” and the number 77, to signify the year Star Wars Episode 4 was released. This gift is perfect for the nerdy father who wants to combine his love for basketball and Star Wars. #supergeekywin indeed!
3. Darth Vader and Son Children’s Book: “What if Darth Vader took an active role in raising his son? What if ‘Luke, I am your father,’ was just a stern admonishment from an annoyed dad?” In this hilarious and sweet comic reimagining of Star Wars, Darth Vader is a dad like any other – except with all the baggage of being the Dark Lord of the Sith. Darth Vader and Son presents the trials and joys of parenting through the lens of a galaxy far, far away. Each lovingly-drawn comic is chock full of enduring life lessons including lightsaber practice, using the Force to raid the cookie jar, Take Your Child to Work Day on the Death Star (“Er, he looks just like you, Lord Vader!”), and the special bond shared between any father and son. And did we mention force tickling? Darth Vader and Son is full of force tickling. It’s the perfect book for any Jedi/Padawan, Sith Master/Apprentice, and Father/Son team out there. Darth Vader and Son – grow closer to your spawn . . . with the power of the Force. Jeffrey Brown has been a longstanding cartoonist and blogger, but with his recent publication of his book Darth Vader and Son, he has provided me and many other stellar geekettes out there the hope that a thoughtful, geeky, Star Wars-loving, potential husband and father to my future kids DOES exist. Yes, I WENT THERE.
For the Gadget-centric Dad
1. Micro-Plus EX 9-in-1 Multi-tool: “The Micro-Plus EX 9-in-1 Key Ring Tool is a lightweight, pocket-sized, key-ring tool kit that includes pliers, wire cutter, wire stripper, wire crimper, bottle opener, #1 flat screwdriver, #2 flat screwdriver, #1 Phillips screwdriver and #2 Phillips screwdriver. The ANSI standard screwdrivers snap into position with ease and change tips in seconds. Open the pliers to use the wire cutter, wire stripper or wire crimper. Open the pliers completely to use the bottle opener. Like all Swiss+Tech tools, a patented quick release mechanism securely locks the Micro-Plus EX onto a key ring. Solid stainless steel construction provides a lifetime of convenience, comfort, and readiness.” I know I don’t speak fluent, geeky, tool language, but I do know one thing: true geeks are multitaskers. Give this tool to the geek or nerd in your life, and he will love you always not only for the practicality of this gift, but the convenience of on-the-spot problem solving on a key ring!
2. Retro iPhone Case: I remember when I saw a cell phone for the very first time. It was the late 80′s and I was watching an episode of Saved By the Bell:
I remember as I watched the super cool Zack Morris, I thought to myself “Wow that thing is huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge like a brick! I want one!” Well folks, NOW you can have one of your very own with the Retro iPhone Case! If you’d like to relive the days of having the ultimate status symbol, slip your iPhone into this chunky, brick-like case. This phone attachment (compatible with iPhone 3GS, 4, and 4S) won’t allow you to slip your phone into your pocket or backpack, but who are we fooling?! The point of this gift is to look retro cool at the next 80′s themed costumed party!
3. iCade – iPad Arcade Cabinet: When the first iPad was released, I thought to myself, “That is just a bigger version of an iPhone minus the phone. I don’t ever want to get a iPad. What a waste of good technology!” Well, with the creation of the iCade, I am definitely eating my harsh, geeky words. This product is compatible with all generations of iPad and the ThinkGeek makers have partnered with ION and Atari to bring to you 100+ classic retro video games:
In addition to the 100 classic Atari favorites, numerous iOS developers have built in iCADE support. The games listed below have either released or announced support for the iCADE:
- Nyan Cat! – Marc Ellis
- Midway Arcade – Warner Bros.
- PAC-MAN for iPad – Namco Networks America Inc. Games
- Super Lemonade Factory – Shane Brouwer
- Blast Ball – UNCADE
- Gold Runner – YOMEN, Inc.
- Kung Fu Rabbit – Bulkypix
- Retro Racing – Mr Qwak Limited
- Muffin Knight – Angry Mob Games
- Minotron: 2112 – Llamasoft
- Velocispider – Retro Dreamer
- No Gravity – Realtech VR
- Super Mega Worm – Deceased Pixel LLC
- Space Inversion – Silverline Arts
- Sideways Racing – Bjango
- Emerald Mine – Les Bird
- Freeesh – Realtech VR
- Commodore 64 – Manomio LLC
- The Exterminator – SUMO Productions
- IronStar Arena – Appracatappra, LLC.
- Compression HD – Little White Bear Studios, LLC
- Mos Speedrun – Physmo
- Warblade HD – Edgar Vigdal
- Plum Crazy – Claymore Games
- HungryMaster – xionchannel
- Cyborg Livestock – PopArcade
- Space Inversion 2. – Silverline Arts
- Stardash – OrangePixel
- Super Drill Panic – OrangePixel
- GoatUp – Llamasoft
- Minotaur Rescue – Llamasoft
- Bob’s Action Racing – VariaMedia GmbH
- Silverfish MAX – Chaotic Box
- Match Panic – Chaotic Box
- Retroid – Flat Black Films
- Box Cat – Rusty Moyher
- Fruity The Snake HD – 22Moo
- AirAttack HD – Art In Games
- Temple Run – Imangi Studios, LLC
- Haunted Hallway – UNCADE
- HyperBowl – Technicat, LLC
- Battlestation – CrushCrumble
- Jungool – Headsoft
- Influx – Half Fast Games
Mo’s Top 5 Geeky Dad Gift Recommendations
1. Doctor Who 11th Doctor’s Bow Tie: The bow tie is back in style ladies and gentlemen! You can combine geek chic style and Doctor Who man-crush love all in one fell swoop with this fantastic gift for the geeky man in your life!
Don’t know how to tie a bow tie? No worries. I’ve got your back:
2. Great Ideas Napkin Sketch Book: Some of history’s most brilliant ideas were sketched on a paper napkin at a bar! True story. This spiral sketchbook is filled with 120 pages of blank napkins for the creative man in your life to fill with his hopes, dreams, and future invention ideas destined to cure cancer or save the world from a potential zombie apocalypse.
3. Be the Hero Apron: Help protect the superdad in your life while he is cooking a fantabulous dinner! All available in adult sizes ranging in comic book characters from Superman to Captain America.
4. Garden Zombie: I have always had a fascination with lawn and garden accessories, especially the Travelocity traveling gnome . . .
Before you start rolling your eyes, hear me out. Two words: garden zombie. It is incredibly detailed and wonderfully creepy. This life-size resin corpse look-a-like would liven up any quiet suburban lawn for the zombie loving dad in your living world!
5. Geek Dad: Geeky Projects for Dads and Kids
“Written by the editor of the incredibly popular GeekDad blog on wired.com,GeekDad (the book) is the ultimate, idea-packed guide guaranteed to help dads and kids alike enjoy the magic of playtime together and tap into the infinite possibility of their imagination. With illustrations throughout, this book offers projects for all ages to suit any timeframe or budget.” I have been a longtime reader of the popular GeekDad blog on Wired.com. Reading the blog, and now this book, warms my heart and gives me hope that my future geeky husband is out there waiting for me. This is perfect for geeky dads with kids, grandkids, nephews, or godsons!
With GeekDad, you and your child can:
- Fly a night-time kite ablaze with lights or launch a video camera with balloons.
- Construct the “Best Slip n’ Slide Ever” – a guaranteed thrill ride.
- Build a working lamp with LEGO bricks and CDs.
- Create a customized comic strip or your own board game.
- Transform any room into a spaceship.
- Make geeky crafts like cyborg jack-o’-lanterns or Ethernet cuff links.
- And, of course, loads more!
I hope after reading about all today’s amazing gift ideas you will use the Force and do your best to avoid a Father’s Day #FAIL!
Until next week: Stay true. Stay YOU. Stay geek chic! -Mo